This old Victorian Mansion provides a wonderful retreat for the couple who wants to get away, or a home away from home for business people, travelers, or hunters. Groups, comprised of families and/or friends, find the setting perfect when weddings, reunions, birthdays, or memorial services are scheduled in the area. Conference and party rooms can be arranged for these special events. Bring your own laptop and use our wireless high-speed internet anywhere in the mansion or use our computer in the work nook. Children are welcome, and pets may be boarded at "D'Tails" close by the Mansion (Bed & Biscuit rate is $10/day) .
To reserve a room for yourself or someone you care about, please give us a call at (785) 282-3798 (cell -0107) or email us at email@example.com. Gift certificates are available.
For information on the Ingleboro Mansion Tea Parlor, call (785) 282-3531.
J. R. Burrow moved to Smith Center in the early 1880s and founded the 1st National Bank of Smith Center. The mansion was built in 1899 as a private residence for Burrow and his 3rd wife, whose maiden name was Ingalls; thus they named their new home "Ingleboro". Burrow later moved to Topeka and became president of the Central National Bank and Kansas Secretary of State. During the Burrow's years, the house and grounds covered a city block, which included a private park complete with deer, a stream, peacocks, and a gazebo.
Burrow sold the house to Henry Williams in 1905. Dr. C. C. Funk purchased the residence several years later and turned it into a hospital. Most of those born in Smith Center between 1921 and 1951 were delivered in an upstairs bedroom. In 1952, Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Mahin opened the mansion as a nursing home. They were joined by the Burleys in 1955.
When the nursing home closed after 22 years, the Burleys renovated the residence and turned it into a restaurant. This tradition was continued even as ownership of the mansion changed two more times. In 1982, Dave Haug began operating the Ingleboro Restaurant and Lounge and added the Inglenook Bed and Dinner. Joe and Darla Conaway purchased the mansion in 1998 and operated it as a restaurant and a bed and breakfast until February of 2000 when the restaurant was closed.
In August 2000, the current owners, Bruce and Bobbi Miles, moved here from Denver after staying at the Bed and Breakfast several times. "We fell in love with the friendliness of the local people and the slower pace of this mid-western town. Since it is centrally located, it is convenient for our children and grandchildren to visit no matter where in the states they move."
Over the years care has been taken to preserve the Victorian flavor of the grand mansion, which has valiantly served Smith Center and the surrounding area. The two-story frame home is decorated with converted carbide and kerosene lights, imported stained glass windows, cherry, oak and maple woodwork, and bay windows. The entryway and staircase are particularly impressive as are the elaborate oak and cherry fireplaces that display the original tile work.